I’m honoured and very touched to have been nominated for the Liebster Award by Shani from She Dreams in Perfect French. The general gist of the Liebster Award is to acknowledge the hard work of bloggers who don’t have a huge blog following. (The Liebster link I posted takes you to a post explaining how rules/numbers have changed over time. At one point it was 3k, then 1k and now some people are saying 200 followers. I’m going to go with 1k for my nominations.)
+ Answer the 11 questions set by the person who nominated you
+ Nominate 5-11 bloggers with 1k/200 followers or less (I used the count on Bloglovin’)
+ Come up with 11 questions for them to answer
+ There’s also a portion where you can spout out 11 random facts about yourself, but we’ll see how wordy I get!
So, the questions Shani posed in her post are make-up and fashion heavy, which obviously makes sense since that’s what her blog’s about, so it might feel a bit odd over here, but it’s all for fun!
Shani’s 11 Questions:
1. Do you have a favorite makeup brand, and what is it?
I don’t, though I just did a quick check of makeup I own, and it’s mostly Rimmel, but I’m going to guess that that’s because it’s what was least expensive at the time. :p
2. Your best kept beauty secret?
3. What is your no-fail makeup look, from eyeshadow to blush to lipstick?
I’d say what I wear every day: a little bit of foundation, mascara and Burt’s Bees. If I want to throw in some colour, I usually use some Sweet Pure Honey Natural Organic Mica Lip Tint. I’m really simple and straightforward!
4. Whose style do you admire?
In all honesty, I more focus on what someone’s wearing at any given moment rather than what they’re constantly wearing. (Does that make sense?) I’ll notice an outfit, but I won’t always go, “Oh! That’s the person who wore that other outfit I loved!” That said, Esther Quek is amazing. I’m impressed by how she puts herself together and while it’s not something I can see myself to aspiring to, her suits and mix in prints, how she turns very masculine pieces very feminine, makes me so, so happy. And so many colours! Also Joseph Gordon-Levitt’s style makes me happy. He just does that casual chic thing so well.
5. Which blogger’s wardrobe do you wish you could shop in?
Oddly enough, I do have an answer for this! James from Bleubird has a look that I absolutely love. I’d also love to see what Lizzie Garrett Mettler from Tomboy Style‘s closet is like. I have this sneaking suspicion that it is pretty close to perfection.
6. Do you think designer handbags are worth the price?
Honestly? No. I really don’t see what the attraction is. Then again, I’m the girl who shops sales and winces at things priced for more than $40, so I might not be the right person to ask!
7. If you could only use one article of makeup for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Mascara, hands down. Without it my eyes disappear right into my face and it’s not a good look for me!
8. What are your 5 favorite books?
Atonement by Ian McEwan
Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
I Capture the Castle by Dottie Smith
La Roja: How Soccer Conquered Spain and how Spanish Soccer Conquered the World by Jimmy Burns
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
9. What are your 5 favorite songs?
Ah this gets a bit tricky since it depends on how I’m feeling. What I’m currently listening to:
Hurricane by 30 Seconds to Mars feat. Kanye West
Scar by Missy Higgins
Little Bit Remix by Lykke Li feat. Drake
Kiss Me by Ed Sheeran
About Today by The National
10. What trend do you wish you could try but are afraid to?
Colour blocking. Which I just don’t try mostly because I don’t wear a lot of colour (lots of navy, black, white and grey) and I hate the thought that people are going, “What the heck is she wearing?!” (Which, tbh, they might be doing anyways. :p )
11. What was the last movie you saw that had you thinking for days?
The last movie I watched was American Hustle and before that I hadn’t seen a movie in ages. Sorry!
The Blogs I Nominate:
I’m also adding She Dreams in Perfect French here, but I know Shani’s already done it several times and so I’m letting her off the hook for answering and nominating again!
Here are my 11 questions:
1. Why did you start blogging and why do you continue?
2. What are your top five must read blogs?
3. How do you plan for your trips and what do you look for in places you visit?
4. What’s your approach for the photography on your blog?
5. What small thing really turns your day around?
6. What’s the last thing someone did that made you smile?
7. What have you discovered lately that’s made you think/feel/etc. differently?
8. What’s the last thing that really inspired you?
9. Five favourite songs?
10. Five favourite books?
11. Hit me up with your favourite quote.
Things I’m Loving:
+ These photos – (Sports photography gets me every time.)
+ This article – (About language and culture.)
+ These documentaries – (On photographers)
+ This fun interactive – (How speedy of a reader are you?)